Wednesday, February 23, 2005

a scanner darkly and other strange tales

Stumbled upon this preview for the movie version of Philip K. Dick's A Scanner Darkly through the blogosphere. It looks fascinating, not only because Dick was one of the most brilliant scifi writiers of our time, but also because it is directed by Richard Linklater, who directed Waking Life, which is inarguably one of my favorite movies ever. It changed my life when I needed it in just the right way, and its visual style of animated film cutups is more appealing to me than any other film style. And A Scanner Darkly appears to be animated over in the same way. This leaves me tingling with excitement.

In other news, a star three times bigger than our sun decided to high tail it out of our galaxy, at a speed of something like a hundred and fifty million miles an hour. I read it in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette this morning but I couldn't find any good articles about it online, so I guess you'll just have to take my word for it.

We also got our copy of the latest issue of Adbusters, which is one of the best issues so far, because besides their regular denunciations of the corporate spectacle, including articles on brand logo tatoos and designer vaginas, a good bit of the issue was spent focused on issues of a more metaphysical and futurist bent, including an article they posted online about art and spirituality.

And a big old RIP for Hunter S. Thompson, a man who truly went over the edge.

No comments: